Fishing is one outdoor activity that has evolved tremendously over the years. As a sole means of food for settlers, to being a competitive sport amongst other fishermen, to now being a leisure activity with family and friends.
Although it may seem as if kids today may be more inclined to play a fishing game on an I-pad than trek outdoors, it’s a prudent decision for parents to teach them the ins and outs of real fishing. The invaluable skills learned from fishing will carry your child throughout their entire life and hopefully they will pass it down to own children someday.
The list of reasons why you should engage in fishing with your child is long, but we’ve narrowed it down to some of the best:
- It’s fun! Fishing is thrilling, even if you don’t catch anything. The laughter, the jokes, and the squeals are irreplaceable.
- Fishing teaches your children to respect the outdoors. Fishing is a great way to engage in important conversations and observations of the great outdoors and the species that surround us.
- As an add-on to the above, fishing gets your kids away from digital media. Removing your child from their play system, television, and cell phones is healthy for their development. Fishing uses a variety of senses and challenges the body physically and mentally, which is great.
- Your kids will gain a better sense of where food comes from. It is one thing to bring your child to the grocery store and read off of a shopping list, but it is far another to actually show your child where their food comes from and how to prepare it.
- Fishing teaches kids patience, a virtue that most kids don’t have today. As the saying goes, good things will always come to those who wait.
- Being out on the water fishing teaches your kids about conversing with others. The quiet of the outdoors will help you to engage in a conversation with your child. They’ll appreciate your attentiveness as well create a desire to speak back.
- Fishing creates memories that matter. There is nothing quite like spending quality time with your child. You and your child will cherish this time for years to come.
If you are looking for a way to teach your child important life lessons as well as to embark on a fun adventure together, fishing is definitely a top choice. Lee’s Fly Fishing welcomes you and your entire family to join us for a fulfilling day of fishing.